Sunday, January 15, 2012

Greek Potatoes

This Greek potato recipe gets its name from its baked-in lemon-garlic-oregano goodness. You can use any kind of potato. Yukon golds are yummy. This scallopy potato dish is hard to screw up - so it earns high marks in our house. The potatoes bake for a long time at a high temp, requiring only that you stir it every once in awhile. They are great as leftovers too.

Serve them as a side-dish to anything you think would benefit from zingy 'tatos. Great with falafil!

Greek Potatoes
6-8 cubed potatoes (to fill a 2.5 liter/quart baking pan)
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
4-6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
3 cups hot water

Place cubed potatoes in baking pan. Mix together next six ingredients and pour over potatoes. Add as much water as fits - you can add any remaining after some of it has cooked away.

Greek potatoes ready for baking

Bake at 475 degrees uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to immerse any potatoes that are starting to brown (about every 20 minutes). Add any leftover water as they bake. When they have achieved a scalloped texture, allow the top to brown a little. Cool and serve.

Greek potatoes after baking.

After all that baking, clean-up can be a bit daunting. Hounds are always happy to help. Call me.

Greek Potato recommended clean-up method

Don't worry, we have a sterilize feature on our dishwasher (Susan made me say that).

5 comments:

  1. Recently I saw a blogger asking others to post the ten foods they would choose if those were all they could eat for the rest of their lives. My first choice was potatoes--lovely, delicious potatoes in all their delectable forms. Let me count the ways--baked, mashed, french fried, scalloped, potato salad, hash browns, tater tots, au gratin, soup, etc. You have now added another yet another delightful recipe to the list. I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this dish on Tuesday. I also share your love for animals, always share my food with them.
    David, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news David! I would love to hear how it turns out. Your animals must love you very much.

    Today, my Boy#1 made peanut butter ice cream. Guess who got to lick the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you Carmella! What's cookin' at your house lately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ms. Sparrow, thank you for nudging me to get back posting. I have been dozing too much in the sunshine while my people rush around. I will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete