Monday, February 7, 2011

Win the Future

I am officially irritated with President Obama's "Win the Future." As has been noted by many before me, the future is not something that can be won. The future just happens. We can only make the future a more pleasant time by behaving less badly.

It hasn't escaped my attention that Americans love to win (go Packers!). But "Win the Future" is as old and creaky as sputnik. Isn't it time for another metaphor?


To state the obvious: winning requires a loser.

Don't get me wrong, I love to win. There is nothing more enjoyable than running so fast that even the big dogs eat my dust. I don't give a kitty's butt for balls, sticks and other retrievable items. But it is hilarious to steal them from my comrades who live and die to possess them - and then I run like the wind just to make them scramble after me. And if there was just one bowl of dog food left in the world, I can't say that I would dole it out fairly.

But I am a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment