Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hotel for Dogs

My favorite blogger Daughter Number Three goes on quirky little road trips and makes you want to go too. She just got back from Dickeyville, Wisconsin, apparently a gold mine of odd stops.

As a follow-up, Daughter Number Three got thinking about her new hotel rating system. And that got me thinking about mine. For me, it comes down to one thing: will they have me?

It is sometimes hard to find places to stay that welcome dogs. Mostly, my family camps in a tent so it is not a problem. I love the tent! I get to sleep in the family pig pile on mounds of soft sleeping bags and warm feet.

But barreling across Nebraska, finding a hotel room is a lot more appealing than setting up the tent in the glow of the headlights. Sometimes it takes The Little Woman (Dave's iPhone) hours of searching to find hotels that welcome the canine companion and don't wrinkle my Susan's nose. But when they find one, I immediately go all Groucho and wonder: Do I really want to stay in a hotel room that would have me?

Dogs are gross. We are hairy and smelly and we pee on everything we can. This is fine in the wilderness where rains dilute and mingle the dogginess into a mellow montage. But even I feel uncomfortable in rooms where hundreds, maybe thousands, of angry chihuahuas have stayed before me.


Most hotel rooms have designated pet rooms. But does this mean they get extra cleaning?  I think not. But how can I complain? I am truly thankful that there are hotels for dogs. I would not want to be left home with the creepy cats.

The first thing my people do when they enter a hotel room is strip off the bed quilt. And really, this is best practice for any hotel room, dog-free or not. People are gross. They ooze. Trust me. My sniffer works better than any black light. You really don't want to sit on that quilt. Stick with the things that get laundered. 

For the record, I don't pee in hotel rooms. And my people bring my doggie bed along.  They cover the end of the bed for me with my blanket. They don't leave me unattended -- that isn't me barking hysterically next door. But, as with all things human and canine, manners come in all shapes and sizes. So more power to hotels that tolerate.

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

1 comment:

  1. The idea of all those chihuahuas in one room is a nightmare. Also, I admit I was naive about the quilts. Errrgh.

    ReplyDelete